Water Supply


As with most other aspects of environmental permitting, there have been many changes to the permitting of potable water supply systems over the years.


Often, water supply and wastewater disposal go hand in hand. The majority of water supplies are classified as Non Public systems (even systems that actually do serve the public). Permitting for these systems falls under the state Wastewater Management Division.


There are other types of water systems that fall under the jurisdiction of the Water Supply Division. In general, these are:


Public Community Water System (PCWS)

PCWSs generally serve year round users. An example of a PCWS is a large residential subdivision where everyone shares one common source of water. For someone who is served by a PCWS, it is likely his or her main source of potable water. As such, PCWSs are afforded the highest protection.

Non-Transient Non-Community

An NTNC system is a slight step down from a PCWS. This type of system serves more than 25 or more of the same people for more than 180 days per year. Examples include schools and offices.


Transient Non-Community Water systems (TNC)

A TNC is a system that serves more than 25 people more than 60 days per year, but is not a PCWS or an NTNC. Examples include restaurants and motels.


For PCWS, NTNC, and TNC systems, a permit is typically required from the Water Supply

Division. For Non-Public systems, a permit is required from the Wastewater Management Division. In many cases, permits are required from both agencies.


Note: this information is provided for general informational purposes only; please contact Long Trail Engineering, P.C. to discuss how the programs might affect you in particular.